Adopting an older child can bring unique challenges and rewards. In this course, we interview Celeste Snodgrass, MSW, LCSW, and Director of Clinical Services at Holt International, and Danielle Kaiser, a mental and behavioral therapist and Foster Family & Adoptions Social Worker with Vista Del Mar Child and Family Services. We cover things to consider when adopting an older child.
This course covers the following topics:
- What do we mean by “older” child?
- What are some typical adjustment behaviors of children adopted at an older age?
- What are some techniques for developing attachment to an older child?
- How to help an older child deal with this huge disruption in their lives?
- If the child is adopted from another country, how does the lack of language impact transitioning into the family? From both the parent's and the child’s standpoint?
- What are some typical food issues you might experience?
- What are some sleep issues you might experience?
- What to do when a child comes to you with significant academic delays?
- How to work with the schools to find the right placement for your child?
*Your course will remain active for 180 days from purchase date.