In this course, we talk with Dr. Scott Cohen, pediatrician with Beverly Hill Pediatrics and author of Eat, Sleep, Poop: A Common Sense Guide to Your Baby’s First Year. We discuss what new adoptive parents need to know about their infant's eating, sleeping, and pooping. Also, read Child Development Milestones (English and Spanish) and download a free Milestone Cheker App for your phone.
This course covers the following topics:
- Baby care
- The vast majority of adoptive parents will bottle feed their baby. How to choose a formula.
- Is wet or dry formula better for the baby?
- What type of bottle is best?
- Does the bottle type differ if the baby is born premature or has Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome?
- Does the temperature of the formula matter?
- Can you make the bottles up once a day or do you have to make it fresh for each feeding?
- When should you consider a specialized formula and what options do you have?
- How often should a baby eat?
- Other feeding options: adoptive mother induce lactation to breastfeed; donated breast milk.
- How do you know if your baby is getting enough food?
- If your baby spits up a lot when should you worry that they aren’t getting enough food?
- What is a typical wake/sleep pattern for a newborn?
- When should you expect your baby to sleep for 5-6 hours?
- Is the wake/sleep cycle affected by Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS)?
- At what point can you start trying to get your baby to not wake up many times for a feeding at night?
- Will introducing solid food, even if watered down, help your baby sleep through the night?
- How can you establish healthy sleeping habits for your baby?
- When do most babies start sleeping through the night and what is “sleeping through the night”—how much sleep?
- Sleeping on the back, no pillows, blankets, bumpers, stuffed animals
- Sleep training
- How often should babies poop? What is normal?
- What does typical healthy newborn baby poop look like?
- How do you know if there is a problem?
- How can you tell if your baby is constipated? And what should you do?
- “P fruits make you poop”
- What type of diaper is best?
- How to treat diaper rash?
- How can you tell if your baby has a yeast diaper rash?
- What is colic?
- How do you treat colic?
- What is the current thinking on circumcision?
*Your course will remain active for 180 days from purchase date.
*Important Information for agencies on Virginia core competencies.
Illinois Licensing Standard §401.520
*Important Information for agencies on Illinois Adoption Requirements.
Nebraska Licensing Requirement 005.16(D)(i)(4) & (13)
*Important Information for agencies on Nebraska Adoption Requirements.