How do you find an adoption competent therapist and how important is it to find a therapist with specific training in adoption related trauma? In this course, we talk to Debbie Riley, CEO of The Center for Adoption Support and Education, talks about the importance of adoption therapists.
This course covers the following topics:
- In general, what type of professional can provide therapy?
- Why is competency in adoption issues important?
- What if your child is having what appears to be a run of the mill childhood problem? Is it important to seek out adoption competency or do you risk turning everything into an adoption issue?
- What are the core competencies surrounding adoption therapy?
- Questions to ask to determine if your therapist has adoption competencies.
- What type of therapy is most effective in working with adopted kids and families?
- Should work on adoption issues involve just the child, or the child and the parent?
- What is trauma-informed therapy and when should this therapy be used with adopted children?
- The need to work collaboratively with schools and other mental health professionals.
- How to find an adoption competent therapist where you live.
- Post-adoption support
- Age: how young is too young to start therapy?
- Open adoption issues
*Your course will remain active for 180 days from purchase date.
Hague Treaty on Intercountry Adoption