Over half a million children are waiting for a home in the US foster care system. In this course, we interview Kathy Harrison, longtime foster parent and author of Another Place at the Table, about what it takes to be a foster parent and how to adopt from the foster care system.
This course covers the following topics:
- What is the general picture of the foster care system?
- How does open adoption work in the foster system?
- What is the difference between foster care and foster-to-adopt?
- Are foster care systems receptive to foster families that want to adopt?
- How should larger families deal with the prejudice they encounter in adopting from foster care?
- How do you cope with the lack of control over what happens to the foster child in your home?
- How do foster children affect the family’s permanent children?
- How are families and children matched in the foster-to-adopt program?
- What is the risk from unstable birth families?
- Is it possible to specialize in fostering a certain type of child (children with physical handicaps, sexually abused children)?
*Your course will remain active for 180 days from purchase date.