What do you need to know if you are considering adopting a baby in the US? What is the process, how long does it take, how much does it cost, and what decisions do adoptive parents have to make? In this course, we talk with Erin Patterson, Director of Adoption for Upbring Adoption, and Jill Davies, Executive Co-Director for Caring for Kids: Adoption, Foster, Care and Birth Parent Services about the domestic infant adoption process.
This course covers the following topics:
- Infant adoption in the US, by the numbers.
- Average cost of adopting a baby in the US.
- Average length of time prospective parents wait for an adoption match.
- Depending on your state you can use either an adoption attorney or an adoption agency.
- How do domestic infant adoptions today differ from how many people think about adoptions?
- What is the domestic infant adoption process at your agency?
- What type of expectant mom considers adoption for their child?
- How many adoptive parent profiles are usually shown to an expectant mom?
- What do you see that expectant moms or couples look for when choosing adoptive parents?
- After an expectant mother or couple chooses an adoptive family, what is the next step?
- Counseling for expectant parents
- What are the ways that different adoption agencies and attorneys handle birth parent expenses?
- How early in the pregnancy do adoption agencies and adoption attorneys match expectant moms with adoptive families?
- What percentage of domestic infant adoptions in the US are open?
- What does open adoption look like?
- What are some typical "special needs" that prospective adoptive parents may be faced with in matches? What situations are the hardest for adoptive parents to decide about?
- How much information will adoptive parents have in deciding whether they should accept a match?
- What factors influence the cost of adoption?
- What factors influence how long families wait for an adoption match?
*Your course will remain active for 180 days from purchase date.
*Important Information for agencies on Virginia core competencies.
Illinois Licensing Standard §401.520
*Important Information for agencies on Illinois Adoption Requirements.
Nebraska Licensing Requirement
*Important Information for agencies on Nebraska Adoption Requirements.