In this course, we interview Dr. Gina Samuels, a Professor at University of Chicago, School of Social Service Administration and affiliated with the Center of Race, Politics, and Culture. She is a long-time researcher on transracial adoption and an adult transracial adoptee.
This course covers the following topics:
- Why consider transracial adoption?
- We think in terms of transracial adoption being white families adopting black children, but it can be much broader than that - Asian, Latino, black families adopting white children, etc.
- Some families prefer to adopt a mixed-race child rather than a full African American child. What are the issues to consider?
- Are there different issues depending on the race of the child you adopt?
- Is there a difference between transracial and transcultural adoption?
- What does it take to be able to raise a child to have a healthy self and racial identity. How do they differ?
- What are some of the issues parents should think about to determine if they are a family that should adopt across racial or ethnic lines?
- What should parents be prepared to do in order to help their children develop a healthy sense of self?
- How to find role models that racially mirror your child?
- Research on how transracially adopted children are doing.
- Adoption is a family affair, so how should prospective adoptive parents prepare their extended family members for the adoption of a child of a different race or culture?
- What to do if you have someone in your family that you fear will not be accepting or will not treat your child fairly.
- What are some issues that may come up with open adoption when adopting across racial lines?
- Preparation for transracial adoption goes beyond hair care, but hair and skincare are important. What should parents know?
*Your course will remain active for 180 days from purchase date.
Hague Treaty on Intercountry Adoption*
*Important Information for agencies on Hague Training Requirements
*Important Information for agencies on Virginia core competencies.
Illinois Licensing Standard §401.520
*Important Information for agencies on Illinois Adoption Requirements.
Nebraska Licensing Requirement 005.16(D)(i)(6)
*Important Information for agencies on Nebraska Adoption Requirements.